Saturday, February 5, 2011

from my hospital bed - to all those who were worried

I will go into detail in a more opportune moment. My sister just brought me a notepad and i am struggling to use it in this awkward position and will try to be brief before i get too agitated.

Today is Saturday 7.30pm. I am in a paying room in class 1 ward in the National Hospital Colombo. I was shifted here at noon from Ward 76 the main Orthopaedic ward a very short distance away. The surgery took over three hours on Wednesday morning. The team was under the eminant surgeon Mr Banagala FRCS. It performed with a injection to the spine where only below the waist was numbed so I was completely conscious throughout but did not see the op as there was a screen but Icould here the team discussing the op. I will relate the surgery chatter when I am more comfortable. My femur was broken in two and it was quite tough to fix it with plates and screws etc. As the bone was hard I think one of the tools broke. That may thanks to years of drinking fresh milk!

Anyway the team was happy with their effort and I can only hope that after considerable physio I recover fully. I am so grateful to and proud of the health service in Sri Lanka and this hospital especially and all the doctors and nurses and physios as well as the attendents who have looked after me so well during this very trying time.

I expect to be released on Monday, to begin an intensive course of physio to get movement in my limb as that is a very important and urgent part of the recovery.

I thank the well wishes for wishing me a speedy recovery and promise my readers that I will eventually get back to my routine once I am able to drive and that may be six months. I have still to contemplate how I am going to get through this period especially after the repeat floods yesterday and day before for the second time in a month while I have been lying in bed. I have not been able to assess the damage at this stage.

So long for now

12 comments:

George said...

Ranjit,

Good to hear that you'll be going home soon. At a time like this, you need the love and attention of your family. Take care, and I'll be looking forward to news of your recovery.

Anonymous said...

thanks george, and by the way email me your contact numbers etc. my phone was nicked at the accident I have lost all the numbers!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks george, and by the way email me your contact numbers etc. my phone was nicked at the accident I have lost all the numbers!!!

magerata said...

I am glad to hear that your surgery went well. I am sure you will recover soon.
Thank you for thinking of us even while from hospital bed. Take care.

Kirigalpoththa said...

Glad the operation is successful. Take care of yourself.
Hope to hear from you when you are up and running.

Angel said...

Glad to hear you are better now... I came to the accident service to see you, but was unable to locate where you were... perhaps because I didn't know which name you were admitted under!

Dr. Banagala and co. are one of the best orthopaedic teams we have and I'm sure they have done a good job.

Wish you a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

glad to know you are so pleased with your medical experience, and that the disappointment from broken limbs has not numbed your positive outlook.
i hope when you are in better shape you can relay what the offending cabinet minister has to say about your condition.

Please don't rush back into activity as a broken femur is a very serious injury that requires care and time. Don't push yourself too hard if you don't have to!

Anonymous said...

i've heard a rumor that the offending minister's name somewhat rhymes with "sprouts with cream"

Sal Attanasio said...

Hi, Ranjit.

So sorry to hear of your accident! Don't know if you remember me, but I met you back at Nelum's home in late 2009 while visiting Sri Lanka with Max Parsons. (I'm the American who attended one of your famed dinner parties).

Max informed our church (Cornerstone International Fellowship in Maryland) about your accident and our pastor put you on our prayer list. God is faithful and it appears you're healing quickly.

In lieu of getting caught up in Super Bowl madness, I spent quite a while last night reading your blog from the beginning (2007). It brings back lots of memories from the trip and is a great way to learn more about Sri Lankan politics, social customs, food, etc. I plan to work my way bit by bit through your "social experiment" right up to the present.

Anyway, speedy recovery and thanks for the well-written, informative blog!

Sal

Jack Point said...

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

George said...

Ranjit,

I emailed you and also called you today from Hong Kong. No response.

Hope you are getting better.

My email is georgebraineatgmaildotcom

Anonymous said...

Those with rosacea can as well products those
I've had good results with are: Dove facial nerve wipes ill-used very lightly Neutrogena water based Lotion mineral cosmetics. bring down your bathing prison term; rubor, soothes the peel, and has likewise lately been establish to be a potent anti-oxidant. It is a circumstance, diagnosed as living menacing. Papules multitude receive flushing after sun photograph. Tea Corner oil is another

Also visit my weblog - Golden City laser treatment rosacea