Wednesday, April 6, 2011

is it any wonder why people are queuing up to leave Mother Lanka

I was in for a rude shock yesterday, when I was visited by a high officer of the Ministry of Justice last evening. For those who have not followed my blog over the last few weeks, I will just remind them that it was the convoy of the Minister of Justice that nearly killed me in Minneriya when one of the vehicles in his convoy crashed into me as it either skidded or its brakes failed and so rendered the vehicle uncontrollable completely destroying my vehicle (my life blood in earnings) and nearly killing me, as now I am bed ridden and recovering from major surgery for a broken femur.

The gist of the officer's message was that there is no provision for the Ministry which is vicariously liable on account of the vehicle being under the Minister's direction to pay me any sort of compensation for the damage and suffering caused. If this is true it is a serious issue. In theory the government can kill anyone they like, and not hold themselves responsible. This is a gross violation of civil liberties and fundamental rights.

I believe I have no other option other than completely sue the pants off the ministry and the Minister, so that the latter will not even be able to afford the pants he will wear. I will have to go to the International Human Rights Commission if the Supreme Court does not finally determine culpability and liability. If I am to take it to such extremes, I believe I should enjoin all the other claimants including the families of the over 100 killed by security vehicles and over 1000 injured to make it a class action kind of lawsuit, which can only have a positive impact for the general public, which the government is sworn to protect and in fact is currently oppressing!

So watch this space for the latest on this ongoing and if one knows the pace of legal proceedings in Sri Lanka, a lifetime of effort on behalf of future generations.

So if anyone asks you why you left Sri Lanka, just say "I did not want the government accidentally killing me or harming me and my not having any recourse to justice, which all civilized countries on earth currently provide."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

No surprises here, this is Mahinda mama's Rakapakistan and the ministers are spineless stooges who cannot distinguish right from wrong!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a very worth lifelong mission, and if the UNP has a clue, they will bring an army of lawyers to certify the class action and bring the case in any court that has jurisdiction.

If you champion this clause, it may make you the darling of the public....

But most likely it will make you a resident of a cell next to the man who almost lost his life to win the war.

Ashamed to be a Sri Lankan when I hear crap like this!

Anonymous said...

I would point to the case of Mr. Anwar al-Awlawki, American citizen resident in Yemen targeted for assassination by the U.S. Government. He probably doesn't have any recourse either once he's vaporized by a hail of "hellfire" missiles launched by unmanned American drones.

Nonetheless, I agree with your crusade and believe it can only be positive for civil liberties in Lanka.

Anonymous said...

I would donate what I can to such a cause, if you choose to pursue it. What you are doing is gutsy and noble, and you have at the very least my support for it.

thekillromeoproject said...

What you are proposing to do is a very gutsy thing. While applauding you, let me also offer a word of caution, the law in Sri Lanka is easily bent for the benefit of the politicians. Good luck. Will be watching your site for updates! :)

cj said...

Isn't it ironic that it is the ministry of Justice which is denying you justice. Thank goodness there are a few individuals like you who would take up a cause for the greater good of all. I sincerely hope you are successful in your task and will be able to overcome all hurdles which are bound to come your way

Anonymous said...

Bravo.

If you have the courage to see this through you will have done the public a world of good.

Anonymous said...

Now, I like what you wrote here. Exactly Ranjith, at least people who are capable can leave Sri Lanka. But 90 % of Sri Lankans are not even capable of leaving that sorry land and your criminal government knows that. Now you see how big and criminalized of a society you have? The world knows your government is NOT a real government. We in the civilized world never ever call the type of government body you have there in Sri Lanka ‘a real government’. It is a group of criminals. Your country is run by a group of criminals and it has been that way since the democracy began in your land. There are few countries in the world today still like that. They will change sooner or later they will change but not in this life time unless there is change forced by the people for the people. Develop a movement to erase criminals and criminality from your land. Copy a constitution from a good top level country and install it in your country. You are right next to Singapore. Copy their death penalty and enforce it today. First learn their death penalty and you will see how beautiful it is and then you will see why those people are civilized. Here is the caviar my friend ‘civilization is not dropped from sky , it is made by great force and laws and order’ and you don’t have it , never had it. Will you have it in the future ? Possibly. Take all the ‘negativity’ preaching out of your society (just wanted to add it before I forgot) , that is another disgusting thing your people have been doing for the last 1000 years or more. Take those negativity out of those people. With a society full of people whose lives are twitched around negativity, my friend it is not a simple task to change that over night. At least start from some where I guess. Your society has some enormous fixing to do. Life is short so, what capable people do is , just leave the country, you can’t blame them either because at the end everyone want to be in a place where they can live happily, the reason why they leave.